In recent weeks, we’ve been compiling some teaching resources and activities designed to help introduce new students to certain aspects of higher education study. While these await finalisation, and in order to share them in good time for the new term, I have created draft versions, here, for colleagues to make use of and adapt. A more extensive and comprehensive set of teaching resources is available in the Transitions Toolkit. Still more can be found on the excellent Learn Higher website. Meanwhile, further resources for your students are available at www.le.ac.uk/succeedinyourstudies.
The areas covered are:
- introducing students to lectures
- encouraging active listening and note-making
- Jargon bingo
- fostering and encouraging dialogue and interaction in seminars and group tutorials
- developing students’ assessment literacy
- developing students’ academic reading practices
- some questions and prompts for personal tutors
As you will see, all the resources are tagged with ‘extended induction‘.