Here we go quiz fans… A sticky moment there when these answers did not appear in the Newsletter following the geography quiz and I thought the Waugh Corner might be obliged to reconstruct them from scratch… happily however they materialised in Volume 21, No. 1. Phew.
ANSWERS TO “A WAUGH GEOGRAPHICAL QUIZ”
By Donald Greene
1. Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire (Decline and Fall).
2. Arundel, Sussex (Vile Bodies).
3. Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire (Vile Bodies).
4. Euston Station, London (staring fixedly at a model engine) (Vile Bodies).
5. Euston Station, London (seated on a leaking crate of fish) (Put Out More Flags).
6. Brighton, Sussex (A Handful of Dust).
7. Pollock (or Pollok), a suburb of Glasgow.
8. Wiltshire (not Yorkshire, as Castle Howard is).
9. Colchester, Essex (named after her father “Old King Cole”) (Helena).
10. Exeter, Devonshire (“Love in the Slump”).
11. Aden, on the Red Sea (Scoop).
12. Trinidad (A Handful of Dust).
13. Pacific Palisades, California (The Loved One).
14. Montreal, Canada (Brideshead Revisited).
15. Zurich, Switzerland (Brideshead Revisited).
16. Fez, Morocco (Work Suspended).
17. Palestine (No. 64 Jewish Illicit Immigrants’ Camp) (Scott-King’s Modern Europe).
18. Colombo, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) (The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold).
19. Alexandria, Egypt (Officers and Gentlemen).
20. Bari, Italy (Unconditional Surrender/The End of the Battle).