Students Reflect on their Summer Internships in Physics

Summer Undergraduate Internships within the School of Physics and Astronomy came to an end in August, and our interns have been sharing their thoughts and experiences over on LinkedIn. These include:

• Jenni Jones: “I worked on investigating In Orbit Servicing robotics and how we can develope and adapt current robotic technologies to aid in the repairing and upgrading of commercial astrophysics instruments on satellites.”
  • Tom Simpson: “My project was on simulating and detecting gamma-ray bursts, in which I created a theoretical model of a CMOS detector and compared the results to experimental data obtained. The large aim of this project is to help with the Soft X-Ray Imager (SXI) that Leicester is developing as part of the THESEUS mission.”
  • Luke Moriss: “I searched for low frequency radio emission from TDE host galaxies in the second data release of the LOFAR Two-metre Sky Survey (LOTSS-DR2), the most sensitive wide area radio survey at 144 MHz. The search was successful, with radio emission from four TDE host galaxies having been identified and detected in LOTSS-DR2.”
  • Caitlin Hanna: “I’ve finished an 8 week SURE Internship at Space Park Leicester, working with Graeme Hall, Dr Adrian Martindale , and Prof John Bridges where I’ve been finding volcanic (lava flow) targets for the Mercury Imaging X-ray Spectrometer”

Congratulations to all of our interns, and immense thanks for all the work they put in during summer 2023!