Conversations With… Cassiopeia Lakin

Cassiopeia Lakin is an Electronics Technician in the School of Physics and Astronomy. She builds and tests equipment within the department and repairs any issues she identifies.

This issue of ‘Conversations with…’ focuses on a member of the technical team within the department, Cassiopeia Lakin.

Cassiopeia Elizabeth Lakin, Electronics Technician

Can you briefly describe your role within the School of Physics and Astronomy?

Hi, my name is Cassiopeia Elizabeth Lakin and I work as an electronics technician in the School of Physics and Astronomy. My main role is to help with building and testing equipment for the Physics and Astronomy department. I also help with projects for the Space Research Centre as well when needed. At present I am fixing several ground based RADAR transmitters. This involves testing and analysing each transmitter and finding what is wrong with it down to a component level, and then repairing it.

What made you want to start on this career path?

I have been working in this role since August 12th 2019. I am qualified in Electronics and Electrical Engineering and had previously been employed in the power industry. I was working at a power station. Due to personal issues I had been away from work for a year and was looking to find a more electronics based job. I saw the ad and applied and was so glad I did.

If you could give your former self one piece of advice, what would it be?

If I could give myself one piece of advice it would be transition earlier. You are strong enough to deal with it.

What is your favourite thing to do outside of work?

Outside of work I have a few hobbies. I do a lot of 3D printing and made an ornery whilst in lockdown (see picture below). I am a gaming streamer on Twitch and Facebook. I also play Roller Derby (when Covid restrictions allow) and collect retro gaming consoles and handheld games. I do needlework and crafting and also home brewing ales. I collect Sylvanian Families too.

3D Printed Orrery, made by Cassiopeia Lakin

Do you have any pet colleagues?

I have two pet rats called Thor and Rocket. I did have seven but sadly age caught up with my little friends.

What is your proudest achievement (not necessarily work related)?

Obtaining my Honours Degree in Electronics.

If you had to describe yourself in one word what word would you choose?

Polite

Cassiopeia also wanted to talk about how she has felt since joining the department, and said the following:

I really enjoy my time at the University. The people here are very kind and always supportive of each other. They told me its like a family unit in the Physics and Astronomy department and after a year of working here I wholeheartedly agree.

As these issues are being written during quarantine, we encouraged people to send in photos of their office/ working from home setups, and Cassiopeias is shown below.

Cassiopeias working from home setup.

2 responses to “Conversations With… Cassiopeia Lakin”

1. Martin Barstow

Pleased you feel welcome in the department. That’s how we want it to be! Really impressed with your Orrery. Please post more about how you made it.

2. Gillian Butcher

Loving the orrery. Do you take orders?!