Join the team at the National Space Centre on January 20th, where they will explore the night sky, from constellation mythology to the future of the Universe and all about our own star; the Sun.
We’ve curated a special evening packed with guest speakers, interactive workshops, planetarium shows, stargazing, and live demos. Explore our galleries after-hours and finish your evening with a live astronomy session with Leicester Astronomical Society (weather permitting).
Space Lates is an evening created for people who want to know more – those who have an interest in astronomy, space missions, and the exciting research happening here in the UK, around the world, and out in space.
- General admission: £8
- Add food & drink from £4.30
- Book here: https://spacecentre.co.uk/event/space-lates/
Tour of the Winter Night Sky: Head to the UK’s largest planetarium to join our Space Communications team for a tour of the night sky showcasing a selection of images taken by the James Webb Space Telescope and other celestial objects to look out for during the winter months.
- Stars in the Sky with Hayley Smith, Lead Educator – National Space Academy. Our Sun is like all the other stars we see in the night sky. Join Hayley to discover how we can image our Sun and how it can help us understand more about the other twinkling points of light out there.
- The Future Wonders of the Night Sky with Raman Prinja, Professor of Astrophysics – University College London. Starting with amazing objects in the night sky that we can all explore, this talk will then zoom the audience billions of years ahead to show how these wonders will look so different in the future of the Universe!
- Constellations: Mythology to Modern Day with Mary McIntyre, Astronomy Communicator. Mary will share some of the constellation mythology stories from around the world, how they were named and some of the superstitions surrounding astronomical events. She’ll also explore how we view constellations in the modern day and some of the interesting things that reside within them.
- Space Crafts: Make your own pin-hole constellation telescope, create your own glow-in-the-dark nebula masterpiece and learn how to create beautiful pastel sketches of astronomical objects.
- Demo: Find out how telescopes are designed.
- Book Signing: Prof Raman Prinja will be signing and selling copies of his books.
- Stargazing: Join the night sky experts from the Leicester Astronomical Society for a session of stargazing