This summer, the School of Physics and Astronomy has hosted 11 interns working as part of the SURE (summer undergraduate research experience) programme.
The SURE programme provides paid opportunities for talented undergraduates to get a flavour of the cutting-edge research being undertaken within the School of Physics and Astronomy.
Our students will be presenting their research findings during hybrid meetings on Tuesday August 30th (09:30-11:00) and Wednesday August 31st (09:30-11:30). These will be hosted on Teams, and delivered in person in Lecture Theatre D.
The full programme is still being assembled and will be advertised in late August – we will try to group similar research themes together. Presentations will be 15 minutes with 5 minutes for Q&A, and all are welcome to attend.
Tuesday August 30th
In person in Physics Lecture Theatre D – Use Teams Link for hybrid attendance.
- 09:30-09:50: Samuel Carter: “Radio Bursts at Mars” (Supervisor: Beatriz Sanchez-Cano)
09:50-10:10: Thomas Morland-Nuttall: Attenuation by ocean waves of satellite generated 3gpp,” (Supervisor: ASTMobile, Sriram Jayasimha)
- 10:10-10:30: Niamh Topping: “Electron microscope analyses of the nakhlite Martian meteorites” (Supervisor: John Bridges)
10:30-10:50: Connor Keany: “Mineralogy of Meteorites” (Supervisor: John Bridges)
Wednesday August 31st
In person in Lecture Theatre D – Use Teams Link for hybrid attendance
- 09:30-09:50: Peter Gorringe: “Fallback Variability from Tidal Disruptions of Stars by Supermassive Black Holes” (Supervisor: Chris Nixon)
- 09:50-10:10: Mark Sharman: “Mapping MIXS Coverage to Aid in Target Prioritisation” (Supervisors: Simon Lindsay & Adrian Martindale)
- 10:10-10:30: Thomas Morland-Nuttall: Attenuation by ocean waves of satellite generated 3gpp,” (Supervisor: ASTMobile, Sriram Jayasimha)
Virtual Presentations – Use Teams Link.
- 10:30-10:50: Jazmin Stewart: “Wavelength Shifting Materials to Improve Photon Detection Efficiency” (Supervisor: Steve Leach)
- 10:50-11:10: Samuel Tosh: “Gamma-ray Burst Lightcurves from Internal Shocks” (Supervisor: Gavin Lamb)
- 11:10-11:30: Nathaniel McCabe: “Building a Weather Data Dashboard” (Supervisor: Neil Humpage)