- ‘Recruiters in Residence’ is simply where we invite employers to campus to hold appointments with you
- They are 20 minute appointments held within the Career Development Service
- They are suitable for people are interested in working within that sector or want to find out more
- You need to complete preparation prior to the appointment, which can be found online here
- They are an amazing opportunity to network with your potential future employer
If it sounds a bit scary to you, don’t worry. Not so long ago you made the difficult decision about what university you wanted to go to. That involved talking to people, asking questions, meeting admissions tutors – this is the same thing. The choice about where you work is yours – and as the saying goes ‘you wouldn’t buy a shoe without trying it on’ – you shouldn’t work for an employer you don’t know anything about. Websites and Graduate brochures are good, but compared to speaking one on one with a graduate recruiter about specific aspects of a graduate scheme, or what employers really what; they don’t come close.
So what sort of thing can you ask? Use the preparation document to help you figure this out – and think about the things that are important to you. Do you need help with the application questions? Would you like to know about the culture of the company? Is it important to know what a typical day would entail?
Sitting down one-on-one with employers helps to prepare you for high pressure interviews but in a more relaxed environment. Therefore, when the real thing comes around, as well as gaining good advice to improve the content of your answers, you’ll be able to use your experience from the event to ensure you calm and composed. Having the answers is one thing, articulating them to a real recruiter is something else.
The variety of employers that we have participating on the recruiter in residence programme offers students from all degree backgrounds a chance to benefit from the opportunity. Some of the country’s leading graduate employers are participating, so this really is an opportunity that you do not want to miss. Check out all events and book your slot on MyCareers.