24th January 2014 Sol 522

The Science Magazine papers about Yellowknife Bay have just been published:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/current

Looking back at this work what strikes me is how far Mars research has progressed in the last few years.  As I was saying at  talk at a local community college last night, our view of Mars keeps changing as our imaging improves.  If I had given the talk 100 years ago, I would have discussed the pros and cons of Percival Lowell’s canals theories.  In the 1940’s I would have discussed the evdience for vegetation on Mars causing seasonal changes in the albedo of the planet.  In 1964, the first Mariner 4 flyby produced grainy images with indistinct craters – were they volcanic or impact in origin?  Even just 10-15 years ago in an equivalent talk I would have been debating whether the metre-scale layers that were being identified by orbital imagers were volcanic or sedimentary in origin. 

In the Peace Vallis conglomerates and Yellowknife Bay mudstones we have unequivocable proof for a habitable environment, with near neutral pH, brackish pore water heated to around 50 oC, fine for any microbes.  But were there ever any microbes on Mars? That part of the puzzle remains to be determined.

jbridges

About jbridges

This blog is a record of my experiences and work during the Mars Science Laboratory mission, from the preparation, landing on August 5th 2012 Pacific Time, and onwards... I will also post updates about our other Mars work on meteorites, ExoMars and new missions. You can also follow the planetary science activities with @LeicsPlanets Professor John Bridges, School of Physics and Astronomy

View more posts by jbridges

Subscribe to jbridges's posts